Monday, December 03, 2007

Hooray for Christmas!

We're all excited about Christmas out here. We've got the house decorated and we've been enjoying the festivities around town. I'm awfully proud of my mantle. I got the decorating idea from a Southern Living Christmas book that Mamaw Evans sent me for my birthday. After I hung the stockings, Rebekah walked in the room and said, "Mommy! You decorated red socks! That's so silly!" and she laughed for about ten minutes over it.



Our tree looks like something out of a department store because we bought a big package of red balls at Sam's and that's all that's on it now--except for one little white bear that Rebekah found and stuck on there. It will be more personalized and less Martha Stewart-y once we get out the rest of our ornaments. I've always wanted to be able to put my Christmas tree in a window that you can see from outside, and this year I can.



On Saturday we went to Christmas in the Park where we saw a friend perform with her dance class. After that we stood in line for an hour and a half to see Santa. Annabelle tolerated the wait well considering we didn't get done until 9:30. When we finally got to Santa Claus, we knew it was worth the wait. This year was Rebekah's first time to see Santa because I was determined not to subject myself to the long lines until she asked for it herself (we didn't even try with Annabelle). Rebekah crawled up in his lap and hugged him and touched his beard--she was starstruck! She wouldn't even look at the camera because she wouldn't stop hugging him. She did manage to ask him for a piano. When we left she said, "Santa Claus loves me." On the way home both girls fell asleep and Rebekah never woke up even when Shannon changed her clothes and put her to bed.



On Sunday we went to the Christmas parade, which lasted for over two hours! It was so hot that we were wearing short sleeves, and I took off Annabelle's pants and let her just wear a onesie. I actually saw some little girls in sun dresses. Santa was at the end of the parade, so we hung on until the end. Rebekah and Annabelle both perked up for the marching bands, and of course, I'm encouraging that. I just know I'd be the best band mom ever :)

4 comments:

LeLe said...

My sis-in-law took Hannah to see Santa and she cried! She was only okay if Melanie sat beside Santa. So they have a photo of Santa and Melanie who is holding Hannah. Too funny.

Yes, you'd be an awesome band mom. Band mom's rock. Just ask mine. Who DOESN'T perk up when they hear a marching band?

M said...

We're getting lots of questions about taking Wild Man to see Santa, and I'm so against it--I don't want to force him to sit on some stranger's lap just to please all the relatives! I commend you for waiting until Rebekah asked to see Santa.

Unknown said...

Your the best mom right now for not making your child sit in Santa's lap by force and allowing her to choose it. Look how happy it made her that it was her choice. Love your Christmas mantel and tree...our tree looks like a large version of the Peanuts tree. Haha. I love it though with all its funky ornaments.

Lilian said...

LOVELY tree and decorations and lovely girls!! Anabelle is just so cute and Rebekah is just so cute in Santa's lap.