Sunday, August 12, 2007

Some crafty things

Worries over moving have led to insomnia, so what better time to blog? As always, my busy schedule has not prevented me from making little things here and there. Crafting is my favorite means of stress relief.

I've saved all of Rebekah's broken crayons for her whole life, and recently I melted them and made them into new fun shapes. I also made some tractor crayons for James. This is super easy. Just sort the crayons by colors--all the various shades of a color will mix into one shade--and melt them down. I used a pickle jar and set it in a pot of boiling water--they melt fast. Then pour the melted crayons into candy molds that you can get at a craft store for less then $2. Warning--I lost the purple ones because I put too much water in the pot and when it bubbled it knocked over the jar. So not only did I lose all the purple crayons, but I also had to wash them out of my pot.

I have also been saving wine corks for years and I finally did something with them. I painted a plain wooden tray, sliced the corks in half, and glued them down to make a wall decoration for the kitchen. If I were to do it over I wouldn't have cut them--that was tedious--but you'd need a lot more corks.

My favorite crafts lately have been greeting cards. I have found that I spend less time making my own cards than I spend at the store picking one out. I like doing these because if I need to wind down after the kids go to bed, I can just get out my box of supplies and make one. It's nice to be able to have a completed project in one sitting. Here are some I did for Mother's Day. The one with the picture of the girls is my favorite. Click on the picture to see more detail.

5 comments:

LeLe said...

You would SO get along with my Mom! One of my friends did the same thing with her daughter's crayons, but instead, used muffin cups in a muffin pan. They looked like little Reese's cups and the daughter was still able to use them to color.

I love the wine cork idea. I saw on HGTV one time where the designers made a coffee table with a glass top and put the wife's collection of wine corks in between the table and glass top. It was really neat. I love the way wine corks look, but I don't drink it that much so I don't have a collection.

AcadeMama said...

You're the craftiest person I know! How you manage to squeeze the things in, I'll never know, but they sure are brillian *and* cute!

Alice said...

Such cute ideas!! Such talent!!

Unknown said...

I wish I had an ounce of your crafting gift. Beautiful cards! Great ideas!

Anonymous said...

I read in a magazine that you could also make a rainbow ball from melting the fragments of various colored crayons all together...haven't managed to do it though. :) I wish I were half as creative as you are!