Friday, February 09, 2007

Our little terror...uh, I mean sweetheart

Wow! Has Rebekah been a handful lately! I don't know what's going on, but I hope she snaps out of it quick. Here are some high points of the past week:
  • We went to a friend's church to see her baby baptized, and Rebekah threw a massive fit--make that three massive fits. She has pretty much outgrown the temper tantrums, but they have made a resurgence lately. The problem was that she really wanted to be in the sanctuary with everyone else, but she is just not old enough to sit still for that long. So when she started making noise and crawling down the aisles, I took her out. Which prompted the screaming fit. And my total embarrassment because we were in the front row with our friends because of the baptism, and I had to walk past the whole congregation with the screaming child. We pretty much missed the baptism.
  • She wants to be fed like a baby. She refused to eat lunch at school one day because she wanted her teacher to feed her.
  • She has not had a potty accident in weeks, until yesterday. I had to pick her up early from school because she had TWO accidents in one hour and had no more clothes to change into. Later that night she peed all over the living room floor. And I mean all over. She literally ran in a circle around the room while she peed.
  • Same night, she was taking a bath and filled up her bath cup and dumped water all over me outside the tub. She has never done that before.
  • Tuesday morning she woke me up, and I got out of bed and walked past her to the bathroom, thinking she would follow me. She stayed in my room and cried. I went back to check on her and she wouldn't tell me what was wrong or let me hold her. Finally she said, "I thought you didn't want me." How sad! Usually I follow her to the bathroom, and she got all upset when I left first. She told me that she wanted me to get back in bed, and I thought she wanted to lie down together. No. After I got in bed, she "woke me up" again so that we could start our morning routine the right way--we just had to start over from the beginning. And everything was okay after that.
  • She has been waking up crying three or four times at night. Last night there was a monster in her room, and I had to say, "Yar!" and scare it away. ("Yar" is her version of a roar, and it is effective for scaring away any number of unpleasant imaginary visitors. And she has a lot of imaginary visitors.)
That's enough for now--you get the point. Something is troubling our little girl this week, but we haven't figured out what. I've been trying to balance discipline with extra hugs and kisses so hopefully she will feel better but also realize that she can't just misbehave and throw fits because she feels like it. Not easy, but that's life with a toddler (and probably a preview of her teen years!).

1 comment:

LeLe said...

I love it! Great stories. I feel for you, of course. When I was three and sleeping in my big-girl bed, I swore I saw Spiderman in the closet. But he was not nice Spiderman. He was mean Spiderman and Mom got some "Monster Spray" and sprayed him away. He left promptly. I remember it like it was yesterday.