Thursday, February 15, 2007

Valentine's Day

We celebrated Valentine's Day (a little early) with a special cake that I came up with. I attempted to make a Twix cake because that is Shannon's favorite candy bar. I used my Betty Crocker Bake 'n' Fill pan set and baked a chocolate cake in the dome pan and the filler pan. I put caramel and chopped Twix bars between the layers and topped it with Cool Whip and more chopped Twix. It was muy tasty, and as you can see from the picture, Rebekah was quite pleased.

There were just a couple of elements that I hadn't thought through. I thought of several different kinds of caramel to use and settled on melting caramel candies to make the filling. It was very gooey but it didn't leak out of the cake. But topping it with Cool Whip meant that I had to store it in the refrigerator. The first slices of cake were fine, but the next day, the caramel was really tough to
eat. Next time I'll use a different kind of caramel--and there will be a next time. This cake is yummy!

Rebekah thinks that Valentine's Day is the best thing ever because she had a party at church, cake at home, and a party at school. She has been going through all of her valentines and wishing everyone Happy Valentine's Day all week long. But she also thinks that she got a birthday cake for Valentine's Day. Anything with icing is a birthday cake to her!

Shannon gave me some daisies in a pot (I always like plants rather than cut flowers) and some Hershey's extra dark chocolate. There is a ton of chocolate in our house right now, but I haven't come close to being tired of it yet (especially since Annabelle is helping me eat it!).

1 comment:

AcadeMama said...

The caramel looks and sounds great!! I think I'd keep the caramel candies and just switch out the Cool-Whip for some Betty Crocker Caramel Frosting--yum--I can never get enough caramel!!