Thursday, February 01, 2007

Baby crafts

There are more and more babies all the time! Last year, among my friends and family, there were five new babies, and this year there will be at least five more, not even counting Annabelle. So this week I have been sewing after Rebekah goes to bed at night. It's nice to have a sewing machine now--I can make crafty gifts much more quickly than some of my other hobbies. I actually started crocheting a pair of booties for Annabelle while I was sitting at the hospital waiting on Dad's surgery. I hope I finish them by April, but I can't make any promises. Those little buggers take a long time.

Here's what I've made:

I'm of the opinion that you can't buy a decent baby blanket--they're all too small or too heavy--so I like to give homemade baby blankets as gifts. That also lets me pick out fun patterns and colors. So there are four blankets for four babies coming between now and May. I've already made one for Annabelle, but she'll probably get another one. I don't think that Rebekah is willing to share hers.

I also made this, which came out of my own imagination:

It's a lovey. It's a square of about 11 inches, with bunny ears on one corner and two tails on the another. It doesn't really look like anything, but I think a baby would like it because it is easy to hold in tiny fingers, and it has the fun little pieces on the corners to chew on. And it's safe for a baby to sleep with. And you can throw it in the washing machine. It's a good way to use some scrap fabric. I didn't make one of these for Annabelle, but I probably will later.

Bekah also got a valance in the yellow Care Bear print to go on one of her windows. It doesn't match the valance on the other window, which is a blue Care Bear print, but she picked it out herself. At least we're consistent with the Care Bears. Which is why Annabelle needs new crib bedding. I think big sister's Care Bears are off limits for the new baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Your family blog! Now I can get the other side of the picture. :-D

I like the bunny blanket. I think you're absolutely right. Babies like to fiddle, and it has soft fiddly things on it. It reminds me of those blankets that you can get that have like a little stuffed duck attached to the corner or something (i know i'm being so specific...). I like this better, because it's softer than the blankets I'm thinking of...the fiddly parts.